If you live and drive in Alabama, you must abide by the essential rules of the state. According to the Alabama Code §32-10-2, drivers must:
- Stop at the accident scene if there is bodily harm, fatality, or property damage.
- Call for medical help for injured victims in the crash.
- Provide authorities with the correct name, driver’s license, and vehicle registration number.
However, if these rules are violated, it is called a hit and run accident. The offender faces jail time and penalties, while the victims may be eligible for compensation for injuries incurred. If you have been in a hit and run accident in Alabama, Attorney April Collins offers the expertise you need to navigate the legal complexities smoothly. Knowing your legal options and steps to take after such an incident is crucial. Let us delve deeper into these legal options.
Legal Options for Victims of a Hit and Run Accident in Birmingham, AL
Alabama operates under a fault-based auto insurance system, which implies that individuals involved in accidents typically file claims with the at-fault driver’s insurance rather than their own. However, the situation becomes more complex when the identity of the responsible driver is unknown, and the outcome depends on your personal insurance policies.
Unfortunately, if you possess only the minimum required coverage in Alabama, you may find that it falls short of providing the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Optional policies like uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) and medical payment (med pay) coverage can be instrumental in alleviating your financial burdens. UM/UIM coverage is useful when the other driver lacks sufficient insurance or the at-fault driver can’t be identified. On the other hand, med pay coverage pays for your medical expenses, regardless of the party responsible for the accident.
Nonetheless, your best bet to seeking fair compensation is to hire an experienced and qualified car accident lawyer in Birmingham. The experienced personal injury law firm Collins Law, LLC, with Attorney April Collins at the helm, works with law enforcement to pinpoint the hit and run culprit.
Together, they gather evidence to reveal the identity of the negligent driver. This investigative process entails interviewing witnesses and obtaining surveillance footage from nearby businesses. If the reckless driver is successfully identified, Attorney April Collins may file a claim with the driver’s insurance provider and vigorously pursue all available damages, including punitive damages.
Steps to Take After a Hit and Run Accident
If you are a victim in a hit and run accident, here is what you should do:
- Call 911 for medical assistance.
- If you can safely move after the accident, gather evidence, like taking pictures of the car that hit you or their license plate number. Plus, make sure to get the contact details of eyewitnesses so that your lawyer can follow up with them later.
- Seek proper medical assistance to diagnose, treat, and report all injuries. This will help you get on the path to recovery and provide relevant supporting documents when pursuing your compensation claim.
- Next, hire an experienced car accident lawyer in Birmingham.
At Collins Law, LLC, we take pride in alleviating your legal concerns, enabling you to prioritize your recovery. Attorney April Collins will handle all aspects of the case while you focus on your recovery stress-free. We will take the best steps to identify the hit and run driver and get fair compensation for your losses and injuries. To partner with a leading car accident lawyer in Birmingham, schedule a consultation with us today.